FURever As Friends is the dream of Sharon and John Bednar. Laurie Appel joined them as a founding Board member. Working together they have recruited dozens of teams of handlers and pets who carry out the mission of FURever as Friends. Our services are continually changing and expanding, so we encourage you to check our web site to learn where we are and what we are doing. If you want to join us in this exciting and inspirational community work, let us know!
We look forward to sharing our passion! Together we can spread the healing power of pets helping people – FURever As Friends!
FURever as Friends (FAF) is a Gloucester County, New Jersey based non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization made up of dedicated volunteers and loving, well trained certified therapy dogs, cats and rabbits.
We focus on serving community residents of all ages in Gloucester, Salem, Camden and Cumberland Counties. The services we provide are specifically designed to offer unconditional love via pet-assisted therapy to adults and children in a variety of different settings.
Specifically, our organization will focus on these five areas of emphasis:
- To develop social skills and build verbal communication in children or adults who may experience awkwardness or discomfort with human interaction.
- To increase willingness in children and adults to participate in activities that will promote movement and pleasure and decrease loneliness and isolation.
- To reduce anxiety and enhance relaxation for children and adults who may be experiencing situational or long-term stress.
- To use the “contact comfort” pets afford in order to reduce depression and physical discomfort.
- To build self-esteem and confidence in shy or insecure readers